BRC Standard and Allergens
Issue 5 of the BRC Global Standard for Food comes into effect on 1st July 2008, there are some major changes incorporated into this new standard and one of the new sections concerns the control of Allergens in light of current industry and consumer concerns.
Briefly, the requirements for allergen control under clause 5.2 of the Standard are as follows:
- All allergen containing materials, intermediate and finished products need to be listed.
- Document a risk assessment to identify and control routes of contamination to develop:
- procedures of segregation
- use of dedicated equipment
- staff policies.
- Any claims to be fully validated.
- Cleaning methods, waste handling & spillage controls to be validated.
- STAFF TRAINING required in allergen handling*.
- Non-conformities specifically involving allergens to be reviewed.
Our updated Food Safety Management Pack is now available. This includes templates for all policies and procedures for Issue 5 of the BRC Standard for Food.
Click Here for details of the Food Safety Management Pack.
* For training and a certificate in Managing Food Allergens click here.
For Pre-BRC Assessments, Allergen Management Reviews and Internal Audits Click Here.
Or email detailing your specific requirements.
Back to previous page